As you may be aware, every internet-connected device is assigned a Public And Private IP Address by the Internet Service Provider. The procedures for determining your public and private IP addresses are outlined below.
Public IP Vs Private IP Address
The Modem/Router connects to the internet via an External IP Address in a typical network configuration. Other devices use their Private IP Addresses to connect to the Modem/Router.
The ISP (Internet Service Provider) assigns the External IP Address of the Modem, which is visible to other internet-connected devices.
Furthermore, the Modem assigns your computer, phone, and other devices an internal or private IP address that can merely be seen by other devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
In a nutshell, the External IP Address (assigned by the Service Provider) is visible to other internet devices, whereas the Internal IP Address is not.
How to Find Your Public IP Address
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) assigns you a public IP address, which you can quickly locate by typing it into Chrome, Safari, or another web browser.
In most cases, your IPv6 address will appear as the first search result in Chrome and Safari.
In addition, to find your Public IP Address, you can use ip4.me or visit other websites listed in the search results (iPv4).
How to Find Your Private IP Address
Your modem/router assigns your private IP address to devices such as computers, phones, and others, and it is only visible to devices on your home WiFi network.
Furthermore, by following the steps below for each of these devices, the Private IP Address can be viewed on a Mac, PC, iPhone, or Android phone.
1. Find Private IP Address on Windows 10
Follow the steps to find your Public & Private IP Addresses on a Windows 10 computer.
1. Navigate to Network and Internet > Settings.
2. On the following screen, in the left pane, click Status. In the right pane, click the Properties button for the active Network on your computer.
3. Your Private IP Address will be listed next to the IPv4 address entry on the Network Properties screen.
You will see your IPV6 address, which will be a complex combination of letters and numbers, in addition to the standard four-string IPV4 address.
2. Find Private IP Address on Mac
Follow the simple steps below to find your Private IP Address if you have a MacBook, Mac Mini, or iMac.
1. Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu after tapping the Apple icon in the top menu bar.
2. Select Network from the System Preferences screen.
ALSO SEE: AirDrop Not Showing up on iPhone
3. Select your network type in the left pane (Ethernet or WiFi). In the right-pane, your Private IP Address will now be listed next to the IPV4 Address entry.
3. Find Private IP Address on iPhone
Follow the steps below to find your iPhone’s Private IP Address.
1. Go to Settings > WiFi and tap on the name of your WiFi network.
2. Your Private IP Address will be listed next to IP Address Entry on the next screen, under the “IPV4 ADDRESS” section.
4. Find Private IP Address on an Android Phone
It is simple to obtain your Private IP Address on an Android Phone.
1. Go to Settings > WiFi, then tap the gear-shaped Settings Icon.
2. Your private IP address will display on the next screen.
Note: Many users have a Dynamic IP Address, which changes all the time, as opposed to a Static IP Address, which remains constant.