Film and video editing hold the interest of many creative-minded people, and they go with all enthusiasm into learning how to create them. However, this is easier said than done for extreme beginners with limited technical knowledge. Video editing, in general, requires focused editing work, creative designs, transition-based knowledge, and more.
A professional Mac video editor like Wondershare Filmora is useful in that context. It comes with advanced editing features packed into a user-friendly program. Read on to know why it is the right choice for beginner-level users.
Top Editing Software Choices for Mac
Some video editing tools are worth becoming the best video editing software for Mac and Windows users. Here are the top ones we found and their best qualities.
If you want to create high-quality video projects with an easier process, then Wondershare Filmora is the right choice. With this editing program, you can easily make changes to the video appearance using preset effects, titles, and stock images. Besides that, there are also automated features, like AI Portrait, which instantly cuts out human characters in videos, Motion Tracking, Auto Beat Sync, and more.
- Instant Mode automatically creates videos.
- Preset FX plugins-based effects and transitions available.
- Automatic features like Silence Detection.
- AI Portrait and Chroma Key are both supported.
- Record and add voiceovers with audio editing tools.
- The trial period does not support 4K resolution and speed ramping.
- You must upgrade your plan before easily moving Instant Mode-made videos directly to the editing timeline.
iMovie is one of the best options for a reliable video editor for Mac users can try out for professional-level video editing work. You will get a wide range of templates and filters in the Storyboards. Instantly optimize video look with them.
- Add Cinematic Mode.
- Varying Storyboards are available.
- Split screen and picture-in-picture breakdown possible.
- Simplified UI with effects and tools easily available.
- Import royalty-free audio tracks from iTunes.
- Only available for Mac users with Mac-supported formats.
- Made for professional editing experts.
Final Cut Pro
Another top video editing software for Mac users is Final Cut Pro. It comes with both Enhanced Timeline Index and a Magnetic Timeline for good high-quality video editing work in the fastest manner. Use the available Object Tracker with drag-and-drop capability for easier layout rearrangement on the timeline.
- Strong color grading functions.
- Customizable text titles in 2D and 3D are available.
- Intuitive Logic-centric effects for audio editing.
- Easily import/export files in XML for sound mixing/color grading workflows.
- Accurately showcase HDR.
- Requires strong internet connection.
- Very expensive.
VideoPad is a good professional-level video editing software that allows users to record and edit projects directly. It has an intuitive interface with drag-and-drop functionality for users to easily move their clips on the timeline. It has good audio editing features as well.
- Easily share finished files via social media syncing.
- Batch editing of different clips is possible.
- Cut, fade, copy, and split video/audio clips.
- Supports a variety of file formats.
- Video resolutions up to 4K level.
- Advanced benefits are available under a higher-paid plan.
- The slightly complex learning curve for non-technical users.
A user-friendly video editor to try for frame-accurate clip seeking in different video clip editing projects is Shotcut. It has a multi-format timeline for users to adjust the frame rates and resolutions promptly. Make changes to the transitions between clips with preset templates as well.
- Tone mapping support for HDR to SDR.
- Multi-format timeline.
- Adjust tones with tools like Normalizer, Equalizer, etc.
- Native timeline-based editing.
- Network streaming for playback in HLS, HTTP, UDP, and other formats.
- Limited advanced features.
- Best for technically adept editors.
Notable features to Try with Filmora
The Wondershare Filmora 11 software’s usability and its list of rich features make it an easy choice for experienced and beginner-level users. Here are some of the best features you can expect from the Mac video editing software.
Rich Library of Effects
Filmora comes with a variety of preset templates for effects, including the FX plugins like NewBlue FX and Boris FX. You can choose what you like from the Effects tab and drag the effect you prefer to the video on the timeline. However, note that Mac devices with MacOS v.10.14 version do not allow Boris FX. Even the ones with the M1 chipset do not support this or the NewBlue FX effects.
You can make changes to the video brightness level, adding more color hues and vibrancy with the support of HDR quality. While exporting the file, you can select HDR. For this, make sure your device has the recommended GPU acceleration support.
On Mac, you can click on File > Project Settings > Color Space to adjust the HDR parameter.
You can expect the feature of creating a Split Screen effect on video projects using Filmora. This is useful for preparing videos with different reactions, like news-like debate videos, meetings, character montages, etc. You can add around 6 screens to a project.
Advanced color adjustment
On Filmora, users get to use different color adjustment tools like Color Matching and Color Correction. Mac-based users can also utilize the RGB Curve effect from the Advanced Color Tuning section to create precise color distinctions within video clips.
Under the Advanced Color Tuning window, choose Adjust tab and select Curve. It is possible to preview the changes as well.
Audio editing: audio ducking & silent detection
On Filmora, users can edit the background audio and even add voiceovers. Advanced features here include Audio Ducking and Silence Detection options. The former can highlight specific tunes and beats, like enhancing the voiceover narration over the background music. On the other hand, the latter does as it promises, i.e., analyses clips to find silent sections to remove them.
Speech to Text/Text to Speech/SRT on Mac
Filmora users can easily add and adjust SRT into the videos or opt for the Text-to-Speech or Speech-to-Text tools. For example, if you want to avoid adding your own voice to the video voiceover, choose Tools > Text-to-Speech. An automated voice will speak the text script you add.
On the other hand, you can use Speech-to-text functionality from Tools > Audio for adding subtitles. Change the text font style, color, and size as well.
Use the best video editing software made for beginners for your work. Filmora is a capable option in that regard. Install and use it before choosing it for your regular use.