If you find yourself in an area without WiFi, you can always use your phone or any device with data as a mobile hotspot. Here’s how to set up a Mobile Hotspot on any Device.
What is a Mobile Hotspot?
A mobile hotspot generates WiFi signals by converting cellular 3G or 4G signals. Tethering allows many smartphones and PCs to share their data.
Warning: If you’re going to use your phone as a hotspot, you’re going to need a lot of data. Speak with your mobile phone carrier for additional information about your data package.
How to Set Up Hotspot on iPhone
If you are using an iPhone or another iOS device, follow the below steps on how to use iPhone as Hot Spot:
1. Take a look at the settings. Pre-installed on every iPhone and iPad is the gear-shaped app.
2. Then click Cellular.
3. Now, go to Personal Hotspot.
4. Toggle the slider to turn on the personal hotspot. You’ll know it is on if it is green.
5. At last, enter a password.
Since your device is now a hotspot, you’ll have access to a new WiFi network named after it.
How to Use Mobile Hotspot on Android
If you are using an Android, here is how to turn on tethering to share your data:
1. Go to Settings.
2. Then click your network and connectivity settings option.
- On Samsung phones, it will be under “Connections.”
- Motorola Moto & Google Pixel users will be under “Network & Internet.”
- LG phone users will find this option under “Tethering.”
- Huawei users will need to go to “Wireless & Networks.”
3. Open Hotspot & Tethering. It may even be labeled “Tethering & Portable Hotspot” on your phone.
4. Click Portable Hotspot.
5. Toggle the switch on to share your data. On this page, you can select to configure your hotspot settings, like your data limit, network name, password, etc.
Swipe down from the top of your phone screen to get the quick access menu and pick Mobile Hotspot from the drop-down menu.
How to Create a Mobile Hotspot with a Mac
If you are working on a Mac, here is how to set up a mobile hotspot:
1. Tap on the Apple icon on the top left corner of your screen.
2. Then tap System Preferences.
3. Choose Sharing.
4. Tap Internet Sharing on the lower-left panel.
5. From the “Share your connection from” dropdown, select an internet connection. If your computer is connected through Ethernet, choose that. Otherwise, it is best to choose iPhone USB.
6. Select Wi-Fi from the “To computers using:” options. At this point, you can select to configure your Mac mobile hotspot by tapping on the WiFi options button. Tap OK when done.
7. Tap the square next to Internet Sharing again. It will turn on your hotspot.
8. From the pop-up, tap Start to share your connection.
Click Wi-Fi options at the bottom-right of the System Preferences window if you wish to alter your hotspot settings. For example, your computer’s default network name can be changed, or a password can be created for your Wi-Fi connection.
How to Connect Mobile Hotspot to PC
For Windows users, follow the below instructions to set up a mobile hotspot from your computer:
1. Tap the Windows start button. It is the button shaped like the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
2. Then choose Settings. It is the gear-shaped icon just above the power icon.
3. Go to Network & Internet.
4. Then tap Mobile Hotspot. It will be located in the left sidebar.
5. Select the connection that you want to share. Your options will depend on what type of internet connection your computer has.
6. Choose Wi-Fi from the “Share my Internet connection over” list.
7. Now, turn on “Share my Internet connection with other devices.”
ALSO SEE: Open Zip File on Any Device
You can even change your hotspot name and password by tapping the Edit button under “Chare my Internet connection over.”
You can even use a dedicated mobile hotspot router made to connect to the internet anywhere.